Today, Tom Webster from Edison Research unveiled The Podcast Consumer 2019 report - the latest in an annual series of closer looks at the audience for podcasting in America.
This report comprises new research from The Infinite Dial 2019 by Edison Research and Triton Digital, as well as previously unreleased data from Edison's Share of Ear research, a syndicated product that has tracked all forms of online and offline listening since 2014.
This year, thanks to a newly-expanded Infinite Dial, the Podcast Consumer 2019 includes many fresh data points on this increasingly important medium.
The principal findings include the following:
- The audience for podcasting grew significantly in the past year. Today, 51% of Americans 12+ have ever listened to a podcast, with 32% having listened in the past month, and 22% in the past week.
- In addition, podcasting's Share of Ear has more than doubled in five years, increasing 122% since 2014.
- Although all key demographics grew, much of the increase in podcasting has come from Americans age 12-24.
- 41% percent of monthly podcast listeners say they are listening to more podcasts today compared to one year ago, with 13% saying they are listening to less.
- Streaming services are playing a role in the growth of podcasting, with 43% of monthly podcast listeners say they have listened to a podcast on Spotify, and 35% on Pandora.
- Music is the number one topic in terms of interest from podcast consumers.
- Finally, 54% of podcast consumers say that they are more likely to consider the brands they hear advertised on podcasts, compared to 7% who say they are less likely.
The results of this survey were first revealed in a webinar on April 11th, 2019 . You can download a PDF version of the report here.