Highlights from the 2018 Infinite Dial Study
On March 8th, we unveiled the results of The 2018 Infinite Dial Study alongside our friends at Edison Research.
The two most talked-about sectors in digital audio today - podcasting and smart speakers - posted significant gains in this year’s study.
Podcasting continues to steadily grow, as 44% of Americans 12+ now say they have ever listened to a podcast, up from 40% from last year.
Podcasting’s in-car gains continue as well: a year ago, 18% of podcast listeners described the car as the place they most often listened to podcasts; this year, that number is 22%.
This year’s report also demonstrated the continued growth of smart speakers, such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home devices. Today, 18% of Americans 12+ (an estimated 51 Million people), live in households that have at least one smart speaker. This means that smart speaker ownership has more than doubled from 7% just one year ago, which shows smart speaker adoption at a faster rate than the early days of the smartphone, which showed only 4% growth in a comparable timeframe.
Among the many other highlights:
- Weekly Online Audio Listening is now 160 million Americans, or 57% of Americans 12+, due to growth in Spotify, Apple Music and Alexa-driven Amazon Music listening
- Despite the rise of other services, Pandora continues to lead in the online radio space—31% of Americans have listened in the past month
- The portion of Americans 12+ using Facebook has declined from 67% to 62%
- As smart speaker ownership rises (18% of Americans own a Smart Speaker), there is a continued decline in standalone radio ownership (29% do not own an AM/FM radio in the home)
- 44% of Americans 18+ have ever listened to an audiobook
If you're interested in speaking with a Triton representative about how you can leverage the power of digital audio and podcasting to increase your reach and revenue, simply complete the form below and we will be in touch!