New Insights: Digital Audio and Podcast Consumption in Australia
The Infinite Dial Australia, unveiled by Edison Research, reveals the digital audio, social media, mobile and podcast habits of Australians.
The Infinite Dial Australia, commissioned by Triton Digital, Commercial Radio Australia (CRA), and Southern Cross Austereo (SCA), provides new insight into what Australians are consuming online.
Key Infinite Dial Australia findings include:
- Radio is the leading audio platform consumed by Australians with 85% of people having listened to an AM/FM or DAB+ station in an average week, compared to Spotify 21%, Podcasting 10%, Pandora 8%, Apple Music 6%, Google Play All Access 2%.
- Twice as many people are listening to AM/FM radio (on-air and online) than all online audio streaming services each week (85% vs.43%).
- 89% of Australians use AM/FM sometimes when in the car and nearly 50% use an AM/FM radio almost every time they are in the car. With now 36 vehicle brands in Australia including DAB+ digital radio, 10% of people use DAB+ radio almost every time they are in the car.
- Despite new ways to listen to AM/FM/DAB+ radio, 79% of the population have one or more radios in their home.
- 72% of Australians are familiar with podcasting (60% USA) and 29% of people have listened to a podcast.
- 17% have listened to a podcast in the last month, with 25-54 year olds making up the largest share of monthly podcast listeners. An average of six podcasts are listened to each week by those who are weekly podcast listeners.
- Penetration of smartphones and tablets in Australia is been greater than the USA, however penetration of internet connected TVs is higher in the U.S.
- 88% of Australians own a smartphone, with ownership highest amongst 12-24 (95%) and 25-54 year olds (95%). Ownership in Australia is 7% higher than the U.S (81% overall).
The Infinite Dial Australia study was conducted in February and March 2017 and uses a nationally representative survey of 1007 people and is a random probability telephone sample, comprising both mobile phones and landlines, of all Australians aged 12 and older. The study in the USA has become the report card on digital audio and other digital media, and is widely used and quoted by broadcasters, ad agencies, and the financial community.
Click here to view the full presentation!